Why Prefer Victoria Bogart for FUT Hair Transplantation?
- Doctors that are highly qualified in their field
- Hundreds of successful hair transplants, already performed
- We only use the best quality materials and instruments
- The newest generation of FUT hair transplants
What is FUT Hair Transplantation?
FUT, or ‘Follicular Unit Transplantation’, is a hair transplantation technique that was developed in the 90’s. It is a technique which relies in the principle of extracting hair follicles in a strip from the donor area, and then implanting these follicles in channels, opened in the transplant area. Although, after improvements in modern medicine and the development of the FUE, this technique is a little outdated; it is still a widely used surgery. The FUT is still the second most used hair transplantation technique, only proceeded by the FUE. In the FUT technique, a strip of skin containing hair follicles, is removed just above the ear or the neck, using a bistoury. Afterwards the hair follicles are removed from this strip of donor skin, under a microscope. And the donor area, where the strip was lifted, is stitched.
Specifics of the FUT Technique
The general specifics of the FUT hair technique can be listed as follows:
- It is a hair transplant technique that was introduced in 1995 by Dr. Berstein.
- Hair transplantation via the FUT technique does not require the hair to be cut.
- Since the strip of donor hair is removed by means of cutting out, it causes some bleeding on the scalp.
- Since incisions are made, it is necessary to use stitches.
- Because the removal of the hair follicles is done making an incision, this technique is very demanding from the doctor conducting the surgery.
- This hair transplantation technique is a predecessor of the FUE.
- This technique is especially recommended for women, who do not want their hair cut and/or for the transplantation of eyebrows.
- Since the extraction of grafts does not have to be done one by one, hair transplantation via FUT is a rather quick procedure.
Main Advantages of the FUT Hair Transplantation
The main advantages of having a hair transplantation via FUT technique are:
- Occasionally, for some patients who want to have a hair transplant, the donor area is insufficient. The FUE technique makes it possible for these patients to undergo a hair transplantation anyway.
- In this technique, the follicles are not extracted one by one. Therefore, this technique is favorable for patients who have a short time span.
- FUT enables the extraction of more grafts, in a shorter period.
- This method is also favorable for patients who do not want their hair shortened or shaved; since it is possible to undergo a transplant without this step.
- FUT enables implantation of the follicles through very small incisions. Since these incisions are so small, they only interfere with the blood circulation minimally, which leads to a speedier clinging of the transplanted hair roots.
- If a large number of follicles needs to be transplanted, the FUT technique can be combined with other hair transplant techniques like the FUE.
- FUT is especially recommended if the patient has white hair, because the risk of seeing scar tissue in white hair is lesser with this technique.
Main Disadvantages of FUT Hair Transplantation
The main disadvantages of having a hair transplant via FUT are:
- Since the donor hair is lifted as a complete strip that is carved out of the donor area, it requires stitches and leads to permanent scar tissue.
- Compared to other techniques, this technique may induce a heavier bleeding on the scalp because it requires cutting.
- Because of the cutting, this surgery may induce more pain and complications compared to other techniques.
- There may be a bigger loss among the harvested follicles.
- The donor area, where the strip of tissue was lifted, may feel numb for a few months after the surgery.
- This surgery requires a recuperation period that is a bit longer, compared to other hair transplantation techniques. It takes longer for the patient to resume daily activities. Taking part in sports, for instance, is not allowed for a period of 3 months after this surgery.
Differences Between FUT and FUE Techniques
The main differences between the FUT and FUE hair transplantation techniques are as follows:
- The hair does not have to be cut for FUT; it needs to be shaved for FUE.
- FUT: hair follicles are lifted from the donor area through cutting out of a strip; FUE does not require incision.
- Because of the incision, FUT induces more bleeding than FUE.
- Due to the incision, FUT technique requires the use of stitches. This is not the case in FUE.
- Using the FUT technique, approximately 60 follicles can be transplanted per square cm; with the FUE this number is approximately 140 – 160 follicles.
- Approximately 80/100 follicles that were implanted attach themselves after FUT. Against an average of 95/100 attached follicles after implantation via FUE.
- In the FUT, donor hair is extracted in a whole strip from the donor area, this implicates that no selection of follicles is made. Therefore, it is logical that only 80/100 implanted follicles get attached. In the FUE technique, the follicles are harvested by after a selection, which leads to a higher chance to attachment.
- After FUT there will be a scar on the stitched part of the scalp. FUE does not leave any marks.
- Applying the surgery via FUT, a period of 3-4 hours can pass before the donor follicles are actually implanted. When performing the FUE technique, the follicles are implanted immediately.
- Because of the incision, medical dressing of the wound needs to be applied after the procedure via FUT.
Are You a Suited Candidate for FUT Hair Transplantation?
Whether you are a suitable candidate for hair transplant via FUT is conclusively determined after examination by the doctor. Ultimately the attending doctor decides wat path to follow for each particular patient, after examination and a conversation about the patient’s expectations. However, the following aspects can give you a general idea about the suitability for hair transplantation via FUT:
- The patient needs to be older than 22 years.
- The patient is only suitable for FUT if he/she has reached a certain range of hair loss.
- The donor area on the scalp needs to be sufficient.
- Patient’s general health needs to be well enough to undergo surgery via FUT.
Hair Transplant via FUT Technique for Women
Everyone cares about having healthy hair to look at their best. Although hair loss is generally a male problem, due to several causes, it is possible that women suffer from hair loss as well. Our experience shows that having to shave the head proves not to be a big problem to men; as opposed to women, who certainly do not want to do this. In this context, the FUT technique holds an advantage for hair transplants for women. Since this technique does not require to have the head shaved, as opposed to the FUE technique.
The Consecutive Phases of Hair Transplantation via FUT
To give a general idea of what one can expect of the procedure of hair transplantation, using the FUT technique; we have made this summary: 1.Phase: to start, an estimation of the number of follicles that will be needed for the transplant is made. Then the donor area, or the entire scalp is shaved. Afterwards the area out of which the donor strip will be lifted is determined.
2.Phase: under local sedation, the strip of donor hair is lifted out of the scalp, using a scalpel or a similar instrument. The doctor knows exactly how deep the incision can be made, without risking damage to the nerves. The extend of the strip that is lifted, depends on the number of grafts needed for the transplant. 3.Phase: after the skin is lifted from the donor area, this area is now stitched up. These stitches are made, using easily disappearing (melting) medicinal threads. The main goal is to have as little scaring left as possible after healing of the wound.
4.Phase:in this stage the strip of donor hair is divided into as little as possible pieces. The follicles are meticulously separated and the grafts that are extracted from the skin, are placed in petri dishes. Then the incisions in the receiving area are inflicted and the follicles are implanted. After these handlings are completed, the surgery is finished.
Post-operative Stage After FUT Surgery
One of the most asked questions is about the post-operative stage after undergoing surgery via FUT. The attending doctor will provide the patient with detailed information about the special precautions to take after the hair transplantation via FUT. We can provide some general guidelines though, about what to expect during the period of recuperation.
Immediately after the surgery, a dressing is applied to the area that has undergone surgery. Under normal circumstances. It is allowed to wash the hair on the 3rd day after surgery. Ona has to be very careful during the washing though, and make sure not to injure the scalp with your nails. Since an incision is made to lift the donor strip while performing FUT, the patient should guard himself/herself from any infection risks. Usually 10-15 days after the surgery, the crusts that were formed are completely disappeared. After the crusts are gone, the stitches that were inflicted to the donor area, are removed. Usually complete recovery takes about 20 to 30 days. The sudden hair loss after hair transplantation can occur somewhere between the 2nd week and 2 months after the surgery. This phenomenon is quite expected, and nothing to worry about. As of the 3rd month after the surgery, new hair will start to grow and approximately 1 year after the procedure the final result is reached.
Factors that Influence the Price for hair Transplantation via FUT Technique
As can be expected, patients also consider the price for hair transplantation via FUT. It is impossible to offer an exact price before examination is performed by the attending doctor. The specific path to follow for each patient is decided after this examination. Naturally this has a substantial influence on the price. To enable you to make an estimation of your casus, we can only list some general aspects that influence the price for hair transplantation via FUT. These aspects are as follows:
- The country, chosen to undergo the transplantation has a big influence on the price. Normally, each country has different price ranges. On the other hand, the exchange rate of your currency will also differ; which can also lead to substantial price differences.
- The clinic where the FUT hair transplant is conducted has an influence on the price.
- As the number of grafts needed for the transplant is higher, the price equally rises.
- As can be expected, the specific qualifications, references and experience of the attending doctor have an influence on the price that is offered. Needless to say, the patient should prefer the doctor with the best references and qualifications, rather than the cheapest one. What seems to be a cheaper solution at first sight, can turn out to be a lot more expensive if a second surgery is needed because the previous bad result.
We as Victoria Bogart offer a high quality and reliable service in our clinics, located in Istanbul and Moscow. Feel free to contact the clinic that is easiest for you to access and make an appointment. At this appointment you will be examined by our attending doctor and a precise price for your surgery will be evaluated. During this consult the doctor will, in collaboration with you, define the path to follow for your hair transplant surgery. Please do not hesitate to contact us freely if you require further information.
Sedation Method, Local Anesthesia.
WHAT IS THE HEALING PERIOD?