What is Hair Transplantation via DHI Technique ?
Parallel to all aspects in life, the developments in medicine have led to lots of innovations. Bearing a lot of advantages, compared to previously used hair transplantation techniques, DHI transplant is increasingly being used since a few years. The very successful DHI hair transplant technique, is performed by harvesting the hair follicles from the donor area, using a particular kind of needles. Followed by a speedy implantation from these follicles in the transplant area, using the same needle. Enabling to harvest and implant hair simultaneously. In the DHI technique, a single small device is used to harvest hair follicles, open minuscule holes and implant the hairs, all at once. This device is called ‘choi’ or ‘implanter’ and is sometimes also referred to as ‘pen’.
Specifics of the DHI Hair Transplant Technique
The most important specifics of the DHI hair transplant technique can be listed as follows:
- This technique enables to create the channels and implant the grafts simultaneously.
- The procedure is performed using special pens with diameter between 0.6 mm and 1.0 mm.
- Requires very high levels of concentration, precision and great effort.
- Since no incisions are made in the scalp, no stitches are needed, and the risk of bleeding is seriously minimised.
- The procedure is conducted under local anaesthesia.
- Depending on the surface, the procedure takes approximately 10-12 hours (average).
- When performed by a professional and specialized team, the results are very successful and permanent.
The Advantages of Hair Transplantation via DHI Technique
- Because the opening of the channels and the implantation are performed simultaneously, the follicles are transplanted fairly quick.
- It is possible to make dense implantation.
- When performed in a good clinic, the result looks very natural.
- Through the use of the special pen, the grafts do not have to wait very long. Which leads to minimizing loss of hair roots.
- DHI technique does not harm the actual hairdo in any way.
- Since no incisions or stitches are made, the patient heals very quick and can speedily return to his/her daily routine.
- DHI technique enables hair transplant without having to shave the scalp.
- This technique also enables hair transplantation between other hairs, in areas that are not actually bald.
- It is possible to perform much denser implantations.
The Disadvantages of Hair Transplantation via DHI Technique
The main disadvantages of hair transplantation via DHI technique can be listed as follows:
- The duration of the actual procedure is longer than with other techniques.
- The cost of this procedure tends to be higher, because it requires a high level of precision.
- Since the surgery takes quite a long time and a very high level of precision it should be performed by doctors with a really high level of expertise. Otherwise the actual result may not fulfil the expectation of the patient.
- The special device (pen), used for this technique enlarges the cost of this surgery.
Differences Between DHI and Classic FUE Hair Transplantation Techniques
The general differences between the DHI and classic FUE hair transplantation techniques can be listed as follows:
- DHI enables transplantation without shaving the scalp, in the classic FUE technique this is impossible.
- While using DHI technique, the hair follicles are harvested and implanted within 1-2 minutes. In the classic FUE technique this interval is slightly longer.
- Compared to the FUE technique, DHI makes it possible to implant 3 times as many grafts per square centimetres.
- Using the FUE technique, small incisions have to be made to open channels. This can cause small bleedings. When using the DHI technique, only very small punctures are made, and this does not lead to bleeding on the scalp.
- Using DHI technique, it is possible to split up the surgery into several seances, since grafts are harvested and implanted one by one. With the FUE technique, this is not an option.
- Since no incisions are made into the scalp with the DHI technique, the risk of infections is highly rare.
- The FUE technique is recommended for hair transplants of broader areas, DHI on the other hand, is appropriate for denser implantation.
- The duration of the actual hair transplant surgery takes longer with the DHI technique, then it does using FUE.
Are You a Suitable Patient to Undergo Hair Transplantation via DHI?
If a patient is suitable to undergo hair transplantation with the DHI technique is conclusively determined after examination by the attending doctor. During the thorough examination by the doctor, bearing in mind the patient’s wishes, it is decided which technique should be used in the patient’s specific condition. Naturally it is possible to give some general guidelines to give a general idea towards the conditions in which DHI technique can be applied:
- In the DHI technique, donor hair is harvested at a different area on the patient’s scalp. This implies that the hair coat on the donor area is appropriately dense. If there is no sufficient hair-growth in the area, just above the neck; grafts are taken from the beard. And if the density of the beard is not sufficient, sometimes chest-hair can be used.
- Patients with hair-loss in only one region are usually eligible for the DHI technique. Especially since use of the DHI technique enables a very dense implantation of hairs.
- DHI technique can be applied to patients from the age of 18 and up.
- This technique can be applied to straight and thick Asian type of hairs, as DHI was developed in that region of the world. But it can just as easily be used to transplant thinner and curly hair types.
Hair Transplantation on Women Using DHI Technique
The look of a nice looking and well cared hairdo is considered very important, relentless of one’s gender. Although hair loss is generally a male problem, sometimes it is experienced by women as well. Superficial and cosmetic products and handlings do not always prove to be enough in achieving a satisfying look. And they certainly do not give a permanent result. Therefore, to achieve a more qualitative and permanent result, a hair transplantation via the DHI technique can certainly be considered.
The Stages of Hair Transplant via DHI Technique
The general expectation of the procedural course during hair transplantation via DHI can be listed as below:
- Phase: this is the preparatory phase to undergo hair transplantation via DHI. The patient gets a consultation by the attending doctor. At this consult, the doctor performs the necessary examinations and hair analyses. This stage ends with the determination of which technique will be used, depending on the doctor’s findings and the patient’s wishes.
- Phase: this is the stage at which local anaesthesia for the DHI hair transplant is administered. This takes about 3 – 4 minutes. After this is done, the final preparations for the surgery are finished.
- Phase: in this 3rd stage the grafts are being gathered from the donor area. The grafts are extracted with a specific pen. Initially grafts are extracted from area, just above the neck. If the hair grow in this area is not sufficient, grafts are also collected from the bears or chest. Then the grafts are being prepared for transplantation. Very meticulously, one by one the grafts are placed into the special pens. During this procedure 20 – 30 pieces of choi-pens are used alternately. After a few of the choi -pens are prepared, the procedure of implanting the follicles is initiated.
- Phase: in this final stage, the follicles are implanted in the previously determined spots on the scalp. During this stage the doctor, using the choi, creates miniscule holes in the determined area on the scalp and simultaneously implants the follicles in them. Meanwhile, the nurses fill the empty choi, with new grafts. Proceeding with this loop of handlings, the hair transplantation via DHI is completed.
The Healing Process After Hair Transplantation Via DHI Technique.
Hair transplantation using the DHI technique requires only the infliction of minuscule wholes. Because no incisions are inflicted and no channels are opened, scar tissue and complications are much less observed than after the other techniques. It is safe to say that the healing process after the DHI technique is generally very speedy. Little scabs disappear after 5 – 6 days. Within 15 – 21 days it is possible to observe sudden hair loss. This is a perfectly normal process. Patients undergoing this process should not panic. Hair transplantation is a process that takes a little patience. It takes the implanted hairs a little time to adjust and take form. After the sudden hair shedding, it will take the new hairs about 3 months to start growing. After a period of 6 months, most of the hairs will have started growing. And the final result is generally observed after a period of 1 year has passed. During this entire period, the patient should make sure to guard his/her scalp against external traumas. While undergoing the surgery, your doctor will also provide you with information about how to take best care of your hair.
Factors Influencing the Price of DHI Hair Transplantation
One of the frequently encountered questions about hair transplantation via the DHI technique, is about the cost. Sadly, it is impossible to give a realistic price about DHI, before examination by the doctor. The price varies, depending on the extent of the surgery. To try to give a general idea about the factors that influence the cost of DHI surgery, you can take following aspects into account:
- The cost of surgery will considerably differ, depending on the country where it is performed. This is quite logical, since there is not one currency that is used all over the world, and prices tend to differ. Getting the surgery done in a country with another currency, can save you a lot of money (depending on the exchange value). Furthermore, each country applies different price scales for medicinal procedures. Turkey, which is one of the prominent countries for medicinal tourism, can offer prices that are reasonably below other countries. Therefore, a considerable amount of people from abroad come to Istanbul to get a hair transplantation. They spend a lot less by having the surgery done here.
- The type of clinic, where the surgery is performed has a big influence on the cost for DHI hair transplantation.
- Each doctor has his/her personal skill set. Depending on the skills of their doctors, clinics can offer completely different prices for the same surgery. To be certain of a good result, one should consider the competency of the doctors in the clinic, rather than just the price. The references of previous patients treated by a doctor, can be a good guideline to the experience you can expect.
- We as Victoria Bogart offer our experience in our clinics in Moscow and Istanbul. You can prefer the clinic that is best situated for your needs and get in contact to make an appointment. Without any hesitation, please contact us freely, if you feel the need for any further information.
Sedation Method, Local Anesthesia.
WHAT IS THE HEALING PERIOD?